Karol Bagh demolition tragedy: No permission, says police; 1 labourer dead, 3 injured
A 22-year-old labourer was killed and three others injured when a two-storey building collapsed during demolition work in the Karol Bagh area of central Delhi on Friday morning. The incident occurred at 11:15 a.m. on Pyare Lal Road in Regarpura, where a private contractor had been engaged by the building owners to raze the old structure.
According to the Delhi Police, the owners had not obtained the required permission from the relevant municipal agency before starting the demolition. Preliminary enquiries suggest that the building suddenly gave way while work was in progress, trapping the labourers beneath the debris.
After residents alerted authorities, police and fire service personnel reached the spot and launched rescue operations. The workers were extricated from the rubble and rushed to nearby hospitals.
One of the injured, identified as Sheikh Shamshad, sustained critical injuries and later succumbed during treatment. His body was sent to the mortuary at Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC) Hospital for post-mortem.
Another labourer, Mohammad Ayub, suffered a head injury and a fracture in his right hand. He was initially treated at a local hospital before being referred to Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where his condition is stated to be critical.
Sheikh Saidul, who received injuries to his limbs, was admitted to Jeevan Mala Hospital. A fourth worker, Rafik-Ul, sustained minor injuries and was treated at the site.
Police have detained the building owners and the contractor for questioning. Officials said they are verifying the facts and assessing the circumstances that led to the collapse. Further legal action will be initiated under the appropriate provisions of the law.
The incident has once again brought focus on the safety of workers engaged in demolition activities. Municipal norms require that any structural demolition be carried out only after obtaining due permission from the local authority. This ensures that the work follows safety protocols, including structural assessments, demarcation of danger zones, and use of protective equipment.
Unauthorised demolition, as alleged in this case, can lead to serious accidents. Experts point out that old buildings may have weakened structures, making it essential to follow a systematic process that ensures the safety of workers and passers-by.
The area of Regarpura, known for its dense residential and commercial mix, has seen several such incidents in the past. Local residents have often raised concerns about the lack of oversight during private construction and demolition work.
The police have assured that a thorough investigation will be conducted into the incident. Authorities have not yet named the owner or the contractor publicly, as the inquiry is ongoing.
This tragedy underscores the need for stricter enforcement of building safety regulations in the capital, where rapid urbanisation and redevelopment are common. Labourers, often working without formal contracts or safety gear, remain the most vulnerable in such hazardous tasks.
The deceased's family has been informed, and the police are providing necessary assistance. Further updates are awaited as the investigation progresses.