🏠 News Empire
india

Jharkhand exam cancellation sparks protest by 2,000 appointed candidates

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 11:59 AM
Jharkhand exam cancellation sparks protest by 2,000 appointed candidates

Ranchi, August 18: A day after the Jharkhand government decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination and other recruitment tests conducted by an outsourced agency since 2014, a fresh protest has emerged — this time from nearly 2,000 candidates who had cleared the test and now fear losing their jobs.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation on Monday night in response to sustained protests by aspirants alleging irregularities in the recruitment process. The decision was among the major demands of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam protesters. While it was expected to quell the agitation, it has raised new concerns among successful candidates, many of whom are already working as government employees after clearing the exam.

On Tuesday, these candidates gathered outside the Jharkhand Secretariat in Ranchi, demanding a fair opportunity to defend themselves. "Tell us our crime. Don't throw us out," said one of the successful candidates. They insist they are not opposed to an investigation but want the government to distinguish between those allegedly involved in irregularities and those who qualified through honest means.

Both the protesting aspirants and the successful candidates are now demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged malpractice. Higher and Technical Education Minister Sudivya Kumar said the successful candidates could seek legal recourse, while JMM spokesperson Manoj Pandey acknowledged their anguish, saying the party was sympathetic to them.

In a desperate appeal, Kaushal Kumar, an assistant section officer appointed through the exam, said, "We were appointed after a court order. We have come with all documents. Don't cancel it [exam]. Probe it. Do a CBI probe or whatever investigation you deem fit, but please don't do injustice to us."

Another appointee, Chanda Kumari, questioned whether candidates had been given sufficient time to present their side before the decision was made. "Democracy means that 100 guilty may be spared, but no innocent should be punished," she said. She added that she came from a poor background and had qualified for the 14th JPSC examination and the forest range officer mains examination through hard work. She rejected allegations that all those who secured appointments had collectively benefited from the alleged malpractice.

The successful candidates point to previous judicial proceedings to support their claim that their appointments were not arbitrary. They recall that the December judgment of the High Court rejected a demand for a CBI probe, holding that the existing Special Investigation Team (SIT) investigation was adequate. Many of them had joined their posts after legal proceedings, and some have been serving for years.

Another protester, S.K. Singh, said the central allegation had still not been established against the successful candidates. "Many candidates have already joined their posts following legal proceedings, and after waiting for years," he said.

The government has said that fresh vacancies would provide opportunities to deserving candidates, but this assurance has done little to ease the uncertainty, especially for those who have crossed the age limit. Some protesters have threatened a hunger strike and further legal action.

Latest in India 10
Amid Trump's drill cut order, South Korea's President stresses US alliance
india

Amid Trump's drill cut order, South Korea's President stresses US alliance

South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has stressed the importance of a strong alliance with the United States after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in joint military exercises. The surprise announcement has raised concerns in Seoul about the reliability of the US security commitment, while North Korea has vowed to respond with a 'new level' of deterrence.

The Hindu 18 Aug 2026, 01:05 PM
Read More →
Rajkot bans fuel for vehicles without number plates in Gujarat first
india

Rajkot bans fuel for vehicles without number plates in Gujarat first

Rajkot has become the first city in Gujarat to ban fuel sales to vehicles without registered number plates. The two-month order, effective immediately, follows enforcement drives that found over 100 such vehicles in each operation. Officials say the move is aimed at improving public safety and curbing criminal activity.

NDTV 18 Aug 2026, 11:47 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News