🏠 News Empire
world

Japan says US-South Korea ties critical as Trump cuts drills, praises Kim

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 07:12 AM
Japan says US-South Korea ties critical as Trump cuts drills, praises Kim

Japan on Tuesday underlined that security cooperation with the United States and South Korea was "critical" for regional stability, after US President Donald Trump alarmed allies by scaling back military drills with Seoul while hailing his ties with Pyongyang.

Mr. Trump abruptly announced on Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to scale back "inappropriate and hostile" military drills with South Korea. The following day, he insisted he was making the situation "much safer" through his ties with the North's Kim Jong Un, whom he met three times in his first term but has yet to encounter since his return to the White House.

While praising the leader of nuclear-armed North Korea, he rebuked key ally Seoul for failing to help Washington fight Iran — a war Mr. Trump says is aimed at stopping Tehran from getting an atomic bomb.

Pressed about whether Mr. Kim had responded to his messages, Mr. Trump told reporters in the Oval Office: "Yeah, he has." Mr. Trump said "it's very positive" when asked what stage the conversations with Mr. Kim were at, but provided no further detail. He then doubled down on his praise for Mr. Kim, saying their ties reduced tensions. "Kim Jong Un has always treated me with great respect. I understand him. He understands me."

The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises with South Korea are designed to prepare for a possible war with North Korea, which decries the drills as dress rehearsals for an invasion. Japanese Defence Minister Shinjiro Koizumi strongly supported joint security cooperation with key defence backer Washington and neighbour Seoul. "As Japan faces the most severe and complicated security environment in the post-war era, the cooperation among Japan, the United States and South Korea is critical to the peace and stability of the region," Mr. Koizumi told journalists during a visit to Australia.

His Australian counterpart Richard Marles said Canberra was "very concerned about North Korea's nuclear programme as well as its missile programme, and we have consistently made that point."

South Korean officials have said the exercises had begun as planned and that they hoped the personal chemistry between Trump and Kim would bring them back to talks. Seoul's presidential office said on Tuesday the drills did not reflect "any intention to attack North Korea or escalate tensions on the Korean peninsula." However, its unification ministry — responsible for relations with the North — said it could not confirm whether communications between Kim and Trump had taken place. "While communication channels between the two sides exist, we cannot verify the specific content of the exchanges," a spokesperson said.

Mr. Trump again called into question on Monday US support for both South Korea and NATO allies that have refused to contribute to the Iran war. "Wait a minute. We have 39,000 soldiers over there, guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next-door neighbour, and you're not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran. That's strange," Mr. Trump said in the Oval Office. "We can't go around and protect all of these countries, especially when they're not there to help us," he said.

North Korea has not responded publicly, although it has previously voiced anger at the regular joint manoeuvres that take place in the South. In past years, North Korea has often responded to such drills with weapons tests, raising tensions on the peninsula.

The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country's defences, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty. However, Mr. Trump's repeated criticism of time-honoured alliances has cast doubt on US commitments to security in East Asia. The announcement of the scaled-down drills came as the only US aircraft carrier operating in the Pacific region, the USS George Washington, is being redeployed to the Middle East to relieve the USS Lincoln.

Latest in World 10
China's FM Wang Yi to visit South Korea after five-year gap
world

China's FM Wang Yi to visit South Korea after five-year gap

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi will visit South Korea from August 19-20, 2026, his first official trip in five years. He will meet President Lee Jae Myung, National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac, and Foreign Minister Cho Hyun, with talks expected to cover bilateral ties, Korean Peninsula developments, and regional issues.

The Hindu 18 Aug 2026, 06:55 AM
Read More →
Strait of Hormuz: Vessel Struck by Projectile, Crew Casualty Reported
world

Strait of Hormuz: Vessel Struck by Projectile, Crew Casualty Reported

A vessel was struck by an unknown projectile in the Strait of Hormuz, causing engine room damage and a crew casualty, the UK Maritime Trade Operations said. Omani Coast Guard assisted the remaining crew, and no environmental impact was reported. The incident adds to severe disruption of shipping through the strait amid the West Asia war.

The Hindu 18 Aug 2026, 05:11 AM
Read More →
Hamas disarmament could begin within a month, says Trump envoy Kushner
world

Hamas disarmament could begin within a month, says Trump envoy Kushner

US President Donald Trump's envoy Jared Kushner said progress on disarming Hamas and moving forward with a Gaza peace plan could begin within 30 days. The comments followed meetings with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and rare direct talks with Hamas, as both sides agreed on American-supervised decommissioning of weapons.

The Hindu 17 Aug 2026, 10:42 PM
Read More →
→ View All World News