🏠 News Empire
world

Indian national faces U.S. extradition in $7.5 million fraud against elderly

Published on: 22 Aug 2026, 01:53 AM
Indian national faces U.S. extradition in $7.5 million fraud against elderly

An Indian national has been arrested and charged in the United States for his alleged role in a multi-million-dollar fraud scheme targeting elderly victims, U.S. authorities said Friday.

Jay Sunilbharthi Goswami, 21, a Gujarat native who lived in Jersey City, New Jersey, is accused of acting as a 'money mule' in the scheme. He was charged by criminal complaint with wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, according to U.S. Attorney Michael DiGiacomo.

Goswami appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Pedersen on August 17 and was released under conditions. The next day, he crossed into Canada. Law enforcement learned he had booked a flight from Toronto to Doha, Qatar, for the evening of August 18. Canadian authorities detained Goswami at Toronto Pearson International Airport and arrested him on August 20 following a U.S. request for provisional arrest pending extradition.

According to the criminal complaint, the IRS Criminal Investigation Division learned in January 2026 of an internet- and telephone-based fraud scheme targeting elderly victims in the Western District of New York and elsewhere in the U.S. The perpetrators allegedly told victims that their bank accounts, funds or personal information had been compromised. They persuaded victims to liquidate assets into cash, gold or gift cards, and often posed as law enforcement officials or other figures to advance the fraud, the Justice Department said.

When cash or gold was involved, the conspirators allegedly used 'money mules' to collect valuables from victims and deliver them to other members of the conspiracy. Goswami allegedly acted as a money mule, personally collecting or conspiring to collect cash and gold from elderly victims in New York and New Jersey on at least nine occasions. The nine victims, aged between 59 and 87, lost approximately $7.5 million in total, according to the complaint.

The complaint also states that Goswami opened a bank account in the U.S. and deposited more than $90,000 in cash between August 1, 2025, and April 6, 2026. Investigators believe the deposits were consistent with payments he received for acting as a money mule in the scheme.

Goswami is currently in Canadian custody. The U.S. has requested his extradition, and legal proceedings are expected to follow. He is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law.

The case underscores the growing threat of fraud targeting senior citizens, where scammers exploit trust and fear to steal life savings. U.S. authorities have urged the public to be cautious about unsolicited calls or messages demanding payment in cash, gold or gift cards, and to report suspicious activity to law enforcement.

Latest in World 10
Trump Says Iran Seeks Agreement but Not Ready for 'Right Deal'
world

Trump Says Iran Seeks Agreement but Not Ready for 'Right Deal'

US President Donald Trump says Iran wants an agreement but is not ready to accept Washington's terms. Trump also claimed US control over the Strait of Hormuz and defended the new economic pressure campaign. Iranian officials have dismissed the measures, saying previous sanctions also failed.

NDTV 22 Aug 2026, 12:35 AM
Read More →
→ View All World News