🏠 News Empire
india

Hong Kong court convicts two Tiananmen vigil organisers under security law

Published on: 21 Aug 2026, 02:59 AM
Hong Kong court convicts two Tiananmen vigil organisers under security law

A Hong Kong court has found two activists guilty of inciting others to subvert state power, in a case linked to their organisation of annual vigils commemorating the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown. Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, were convicted under the city's national security law, which was introduced by Beijing in 2020.

The charges relate to their roles in organising public gatherings that authorities had banned. According to the court's summary released on Friday, the two were found to have “incited other persons to organise, plan, commit or participate in acts by unlawful means with a view to subverting the state power.” They face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison, with sentencing scheduled for a later date.

A third defendant, Albert Ho, 74, had pleaded guilty in January. The case is among the most prominent trials conducted under the national security law, which was enacted to address what Beijing describes as threats to national security in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong had been one of the few places in Chinese territory where people could gather to mark the June 4, 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy protesters. These vigils were held annually for decades. In 2020, authorities banned the gatherings, citing Covid-19 restrictions, and they have not been permitted since. The national security law came into force in the same year, making a wider range of dissenting acts illegal.

During the trial, Chow told the court that the law itself was on trial, a statement reflecting the views of some defendants and their supporters. The proceedings have drawn attention from international observers, who have raised concerns about the law's implications for civil liberties in Hong Kong. Chinese officials maintain that the law is essential for safeguarding sovereignty and stability.

In mainland China, authorities have prohibited even indirect references to the 1989 events. The continuing restrictions highlight the sensitivity of the subject for the Chinese government.

The convictions are part of a broader pattern of enforcement of the national security law, which has been used to target individuals and groups perceived as challenging the government's authority. Legal experts have noted that the law's broad language allows for a wide range of interpretations, and critics argue it has been used to suppress political dissent. Supporters of the law say it has helped restore order after the protests of 2019.

As the case moves to sentencing, the defendants' legal teams are expected to present mitigating arguments. The outcome will be closely watched as a measure of the law's application in politically sensitive cases.

Latest in India 10
DMK accuses Vijay of 'U-turn' on delimitation after meeting Amit Shah
india

DMK accuses Vijay of 'U-turn' on delimitation after meeting Amit Shah

DMK has accused actor-politician Vijay of reversing his strong opposition to delimitation after meeting Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Delhi. The party says his stance changed within a week, while Vijay's supporters insist he is only gathering more information before finalising his position. The issue carries significant political weight ahead of the 2026 Tamil Nadu assembly elections.

Times of India 21 Aug 2026, 03:55 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News