🏠 News Empire
india

Hanur Shoot-out: Legal Forum Demands High-Level Inquiry into Three Deaths

Published on: 17 Aug 2026, 03:20 PM
Hanur Shoot-out: Legal Forum Demands High-Level Inquiry into Three Deaths

Bengaluru: The People’s Legal Forum has called for a high-level inquiry into the death of three persons in an exchange of fire with forest officials at the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in Hanur taluk, Chamarajanagar district, early on Saturday.

In a statement, the forum’s director and advocate, Baburaj Palladan, said the victims were local residents who routinely entered the forest area to exercise their rights under the Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act, 2006, and the Panchayats (Extension to Scheduled Areas) (PESA) Act, 1996. He contended that the forest department officials were familiar with the deceased and their addresses for a considerable period.

Mr. Palladan also questioned the immediate shifting of the bodies from the forest for post-mortem without informing the jurisdictional police. “No spot mahazar had been carried out,” he claimed, alleging that the guidelines of the Supreme Court and the National Human Rights Commission had not been followed.

“There was no such grave situation to force the forest officials to shoot them to kill,” the advocate said, asserting that a high-level inquiry is necessary to bring the erring officials to book.

The incident adds to concerns over the implementation of forest rights laws in the state. The Forest Rights Act recognises the rights of forest-dwelling communities to land and resources, while PESA extends certain provisions to scheduled areas, giving gram sabhas a decisive role in local governance. The forum’s statement suggests that the deceased were entering the forest as part of these entitlements, though the exact circumstances leading to the shoot-out have not yet been officially detailed.

The forum’s demand for a probe comes amid broader debates on the conduct of forest officials in encounters with local inhabitants. Without an independent investigation, it argues, the families of the victims may not receive a fair account of the events. The statement also highlights the need for procedural adherence, such as informing local police and conducting proper on-site documentation, which are mandatory under standard operating procedures for such incidents.

As of now, no official version of the shoot-out has been released by the forest department or the state administration. The authorities have not yet responded to the allegations made by the legal forum. The district administration and the police have remained silent on the matter, and it is not known whether a First Information Report has been registered in connection with the deaths.

The People’s Legal Forum’s appeal for a high-level inquiry is likely to put pressure on the state government to clarify the sequence of events. The forum has also urged the authorities to ensure that the families of the deceased receive appropriate compensation and that any lapses by officials are addressed through a transparent process.

This incident comes at a time when the implementation of the Forest Rights Act and PESA has been a contentious issue, with several states facing criticism for not fully recognising the rights of forest dwellers. The killing of locals by forest personnel, if confirmed, would be a serious matter requiring accountability.

The forum has not provided any further evidence, but it has requested that the inquiry be conducted by an independent body, preferably headed by a retired judge or a senior official with a proven track record of impartiality. Until a thorough investigation is completed, the forum insists that the families of the deceased and the public at large should be kept informed of the progress.

This report will be updated as more details emerge from official sources.

Latest in India 10
Kerala High Court Questions Home Department's Double Standards in Police Officer's Case
india

Kerala High Court Questions Home Department's Double Standards in Police Officer's Case

The Kerala High Court has questioned the Home department's inconsistent disciplinary actions, pointing out that DSP Sudheer Kallen was not suspended despite an admitted lapse in arrest procedures that led to the release of a murder accused. The court cited instances where officials faced suspension for lesser issues and said it would direct an investigation into the matter.

The Hindu 17 Aug 2026, 02:24 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News