🏠 News Empire
india

Goa Nightclub Fire: Bombay HC Cancels Bail for Owners in 25-Death Tragedy

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 02:02 PM
Goa Nightclub Fire: Bombay HC Cancels Bail for Owners in 25-Death Tragedy

The Bombay High Court on Tuesday (August 18, 2026) cancelled the bail granted to the owners and a business partner of Birch by Romeo Lane nightclub in Goa, where a fire in December last year killed 25 people and injured 50 others.

A single bench of Justice Dr. Neela Gokhale passed the order while hearing applications filed by the prosecution challenging the bail granted earlier by a trial court.

The accused — Saurav Luthra, Gaurav Luthra, and Ajay Gupta — were partners in M/s Being GS Hospitality Arpora LLP, which operated the nightclub in Arpora, Goa. They had been granted bail by the trial court in April this year.

The High Court has granted the three accused two weeks to surrender before the trial court. During this period, they may seek bail afresh, the court said.

Advocate Somnath Karpe, appearing for the prosecution, told reporters that the court allowed all five applications — three concerning the accused in the case of culpable homicide in connection with the fire, and two concerning the accused in the forgery case related to obtaining permissions for the nightclub.

The prosecution had challenged the bail granted to the Luthra brothers and Gupta, arguing that the offences were serious in nature. The trio was granted bail in the fire case on April 1, while the Luthra brothers were granted bail eight days later in connection with the second FIR relating to alleged forgery in obtaining permissions for the nightclub.

According to the chargesheet filed in the case, the accused have been booked under provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita relating to culpable homicide not amounting to murder, acts endangering human life, negligent conduct with respect to fire and combustible matter, forgery, use of forged documents as genuine, and criminal conspiracy.

The chargesheet alleged that the "irresponsible acts" of the accused resulted in the deaths of 25 people in the mass-casualty incident, causing "irreparable loss" to their families. The prosecution has alleged gross criminal negligence and disregard for human life, besides failure to adhere to statutory and safety norms.

The fire at the nightclub on December 6, 2025, is one of the deadliest such incidents in Goa's history. It raised serious questions about enforcement of fire safety regulations at entertainment venues in the state.

The High Court's decision to cancel bail underscores the gravity of the charges. The accused are now expected to surrender within two weeks, after which they may apply for bail before the trial court, which will consider the matter afresh.

Legal experts note that cancellation of bail in such cases does not amount to a conviction, but it reflects the court's view that the trial court may not have adequately considered the seriousness of the offences and the evidence on record.

Families of the victims have welcomed the High Court's order, expressing hope that the legal process will bring justice for the 25 people who lost their lives. The case continues to be followed closely across the country as a test of accountability for fire safety lapses at public venues.

Latest in India 10
Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore
india

Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore

The Karnataka government has cancelled around 1,100 alternative sites allotted by the Mysuru Development Authority under the 50:50 scheme, following recommendations from a probe committee. The sites are estimated to be worth ₹2,000 crore. Authorities have been directed to cancel sale deeds and khatas where applicable, with action to be taken in two phases.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 04:06 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News