🏠 News Empire
india

Eight fishermen missing off Konaseema: CM Naidu orders intensified search

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 08:17 AM
Eight fishermen missing off Konaseema: CM Naidu orders intensified search

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu on Tuesday reviewed the ongoing search for a fishing boat carrying eight fishermen that has been missing off the Konaseema coast since last week. The Chief Minister directed officials to intensify search and rescue operations until the boat and its crew are traced.

The boat, which set out from Odalarevu jetty in Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Konaseema district on August 3, was reported missing after the crew lost contact with their families. The fishermen hail from Odalarevu, Dummalapeta and Vasalatippa villages in Allavaram mandal.

According to officials, the crew were in touch with their families over phone until around 11 a.m. on August 7. The boat was expected to return by August 12 but failed to do so, prompting special search operations. The vessel is equipped with a VHF communication set, and the fishermen were carrying mobile phones, officials said.

During a review meeting with Chief Minister's Office officials, Naidu was briefed on the search efforts. Officials said the boat may have reached the fishing grounds around 6 p.m. on the day of the last contact. The Coast Guard has been alerted, and its vessels have been deployed for the search.

The Chief Minister also directed the Fisheries Department and the district administration to coordinate with the Coast Guard and continue the search in a combined manner. He asked officials to remain in constant touch with the families of the missing fishermen and provide them all necessary assistance.

Naidu assured the families that the government would use all available resources to locate the fishermen safely. “Every effort will be made to trace them,” he said, appealing to the families to remain courageous.

As part of the search, fishing boats operating from Kakinada, Bhairavapalem, Visakhapatnam and Paradip have been alerted. They have been asked to report any information that could help locate the missing vessel.

The Fisheries Department has noted that the boat carried 1,000 litres of diesel against the 600 litres required for the trip, and food supplies sufficient for 17 days. The supplies are expected to last until August 20, giving the search teams a critical window for the operation.

The missing boat had departed for tuna fishing along the Andhra Pradesh coast and later moved towards the Odisha coast. Six of the eight fishermen are from Odalarevu village and two from Kakinada.

The district administration has also informed the State Disaster Management Authority about the incident. Officials said the search is being conducted on a war footing, with all available assets pressed into service. The Coast Guard vessels from Kakinada and Visakhapatnam have joined the operation, and coordination with the Fisheries Department and local authorities is ongoing.

The incident highlights the risks faced by fishermen who venture into the sea for days at a time, often beyond the reach of mobile networks. The fishing community in Konaseema relies heavily on such trips for their livelihood, and the prolonged silence of the missing boat has caused anxiety among the families and the local community. The government has urged the public to share any information about the boat with the authorities.

Officials said the search is being carried out round-the-clock, and the Chief Minister has asked for regular updates. He reiterated that the safety of the eight fishermen is the top priority and that all possible measures are being taken to bring them back safely.

Latest in India 10
Pakistan SC Orders Hospital Transfer for Imran Khan Amid Health Fears
india

Pakistan SC Orders Hospital Transfer for Imran Khan Amid Health Fears

The Supreme Court of Pakistan has ordered the transfer of former Prime Minister Imran Khan from jail to Shifa International Hospital within 48 hours. The ruling comes after persistent concerns raised by his party and family regarding his health, including vision loss. PTI has welcomed the decision, calling for his continued treatment until doctors are satisfied.

The Hindu 18 Aug 2026, 09:02 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News