🏠 News Empire
india

Charter plane with 8 on board crashes near remote Alaska radar site

Published on: 21 Aug 2026, 03:02 AM
Charter plane with 8 on board crashes near remote Alaska radar site

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A charter plane carrying eight people crashed on Thursday near a remote radar site in western Alaska, a U.S. federal official said. The incident occurred at approximately noon local time, according to preliminary information.

Clint Johnson, the National Transportation Safety Board’s Alaska region chief, confirmed that two pilots and six passengers were aboard the aircraft. He did not immediately provide details on their condition, saying that information is still being gathered.

The plane had departed from Anchorage and was approaching the Cape Newenham Long Range Radar Site when it went down, Johnson said. The site is located on a remote stretch of the Bering Sea coast, about 500 miles southwest of Anchorage.

The Alaska Rescue Coordination Center said it launched a search and rescue mission after receiving a report of an “aircraft incident” near the radar facility. In a statement, the center said additional information would be released as it becomes available. It did not respond to questions about the status of those on board.

The Cape Newenham radar site is part of a network of early warning installations operated by the U.S. military in Alaska. The area is characterized by rugged terrain, unpredictable weather, and limited transportation infrastructure, making search and rescue operations challenging.

The NTSB has dispatched investigators to the scene. Johnson said the team will document the crash site, examine the aircraft’s maintenance records, and interview witnesses and air traffic controllers to determine the cause of the accident.

Aviation accidents are not uncommon in Alaska, where small planes are a vital link for communities and facilities across vast, sparsely populated areas. The state has some of the highest rates of general aviation accidents in the United States, often due to difficult flying conditions and extreme weather.

Thursday’s crash is the latest in a series of incidents involving chartered aircraft in the region. Last year, a similar accident near Nome killed five people. Federal investigators have repeatedly urged operators to exercise caution when flying in remote areas with limited navigation aids.

The names of the passengers and crew have not been released pending notification of next of kin. The Federal Aviation Administration has also been notified and is assisting with the investigation.

Local communities and military personnel have joined the search effort. The response is being coordinated by the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.

The NTSB will release a preliminary report within 30 days, but a full determination of the cause may take up to two years. In the meantime, the board has urged the public to avoid speculating about the circumstances of the crash.

This is a developing story. Further updates will be provided as verified information becomes available.

Latest in India 10
Odia Poet Ashutosh Parida Honoured with Prestigious Sarala Puraskar
india

Odia Poet Ashutosh Parida Honoured with Prestigious Sarala Puraskar

Odia poet Ashutosh Parida has been named the winner of the 2025 Sarala Puraskar for his poetry collection 'Bishwas De Pruthwi'. The award, which includes ₹7 lakh, will be presented in Bhubaneswar on October 25. IMPaCT also announced the 2026 Kala Samman for Odissi maestro Guru Durga Charan Ranbir and sculptor Damodar Behera.

The Hindu 21 Aug 2026, 03:21 AM
Read More →
In Visakhapatnam's One Town, black dust is a daily health hazard
india

In Visakhapatnam's One Town, black dust is a daily health hazard

Residents of Visakhapatnam's One Town area battle black dust and respiratory ailments as air quality worsens. Data shows PM2.5 and nitrogen dioxide levels have crossed national limits, making the city a pollution hotspot. Families are taking measures like air purifiers while demanding action.

The Hindu 21 Aug 2026, 01:54 AM
Read More →
Bihar to Build 11.18 Lakh PMAY-G Houses, ₹13,427 Crore Sanctioned
india

Bihar to Build 11.18 Lakh PMAY-G Houses, ₹13,427 Crore Sanctioned

Union Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced that 11.18 lakh permanent houses will be built in Bihar under PMAY-G with an allocation of ₹13,427 crore. The announcement was made at a Grih Pravesh event where keys were handed over to beneficiaries. Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary highlighted the 40% state contribution.

The Hindu 21 Aug 2026, 01:56 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News