🏠 News Empire
india

Chandigarh 'Petrol Langar' Postponed Due to Rain, Crowd Left Disappointed

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 11:54 PM
Chandigarh 'Petrol Langar' Postponed Due to Rain, Crowd Left Disappointed

A promised 'petrol langar' in Chandigarh on Tuesday evening drew a large number of vehicle owners to two petrol pumps, but many returned disappointed as no fuel was distributed. The free petrol event, announced on social media by a man named Rakesh Trehan, was later postponed due to heavy rain.

The announcement, which spread quickly on platforms like Instagram, said petrol would be distributed at a fuel station in Sector 10 at 5 pm. Several residents, braving heavy rainfall, reached the designated location in the hope of receiving the offer. However, attendants at the pump said they had no permission to give away fuel, leaving the crowd confused and upset.

A woman identified as Suman said she came after watching a video about the petrol langar on Instagram. She told reporters that only 10 to 15 people were given tokens, while others were asked to leave. Another individual, Anshu, said he had been waiting for nearly two hours in the rain. He alleged that people were told to return on Saturday or Sunday, and questioned why they had been asked to travel if the event was not ready.

Amid the growing confusion, Trehan, who is known on social media as 'Raja The King', released a video explaining the reason for the postponement. He said the petrol langar was put off because of the heavy downpour, as he did not want people to stand in the rain and risk falling ill. He apologised to those who had reached the pumps and announced a fresh schedule.

The event will now be held on August 21, with distribution continuing for three days — August 21, 22 and 23 — at the same location and time. Trehan added that coupons or cards for the fuel distribution would be issued on the first day.

The term 'langar' refers to a free community kitchen, a practice associated with Sikh temples where meals are served to all visitors. The use of the term for a fuel giveaway was a social media experiment that generated significant interest but also exposed gaps in communication and planning.

Tuesday's developments left many residents questioning the reliability of such announcements. Local authorities have not commented on the matter, as the event was a private initiative. No injuries or untoward incidents were reported despite the heavy rain and crowd.

For now, those who had gathered hope the rescheduled event will materialise as promised. But the episode serves as a reminder of how quickly viral announcements can lead to real-world gatherings, and how important clear and timely communication is for public safety.

Latest in India 10
Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore
india

Karnataka cancels 1,100 MDA alternative site allotments worth ₹2,000 crore

The Karnataka government has cancelled around 1,100 alternative sites allotted by the Mysuru Development Authority under the 50:50 scheme, following recommendations from a probe committee. The sites are estimated to be worth ₹2,000 crore. Authorities have been directed to cancel sale deeds and khatas where applicable, with action to be taken in two phases.

The Hindu 19 Aug 2026, 04:06 PM
Read More →
→ View All India News