🏠 News Empire
india

Bombay HC clerk typing test glitches spark protest in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar; demand for re-exam grows

Published on: 17 Aug 2026, 02:13 AM
Bombay HC clerk typing test glitches spark protest in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar; demand for re-exam grows

Several candidates who appeared for the Bombay High Court clerk recruitment typing test on Sunday (August 16, 2026) staged a protest in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, alleging technical failures and server glitches during the online examination. The demonstration was joined by Abhijeet Dipke, convenor of the Cockroach Janta Party, who claimed that many aspirants were declared failed through no fault of their own.

The protest, held near an examination centre in the Surananagar area, saw candidates demanding that the test be conducted afresh. Mr. Dipke alleged that the authorities had dismissed complaints, telling candidates that they did not know how to operate the systems. He questioned why proper computers, functioning keyboards, and reliable servers had not been arranged in advance.

In a communication issued by the Bombay High Court registrar (personnel), the court stated that the typing examination for the post of clerk was conducted smoothly, though a few technical issues were reported at certain examination centres, particularly in Aurangabad and Kalyan. The communication added that the technical issues, if any, related to the process conducted by the agency were being examined, and candidates would be duly informed through official communication about the further course of action.

However, candidates complained that computers failed to function during the session between 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Some reported that their screens turned yellow, keyboards stopped working, or the system logged them out within ten minutes of starting the test. Fearing that they would miss the examination, the candidates demanded a fresh test.

Around 2,900 candidates from the Marathwada and Vidarbha regions appeared for the examination at various centres in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar. Across Maharashtra, approximately 13,000 candidates were eligible for the test, which was held in three sessions for 1,300 posts under the Nagpur and Aurangabad benches of the High Court.

Mr. Dipke, who visited the centre after learning about the disruption, said aspirants had travelled from Beed, Ambajogai, Amravati, Latur, and other parts of Maharashtra to appear for the examination. He described the incident as a failure of the system and the government, not of the job seekers. He also demanded that the authorities issue a written notification announcing a re-examination, and that the new test not be held on the same computers.

Addressing reporters, Mr. Dipke said, “When the students sat for the examination, they found that some computers were not working properly. In some cases, the mouse and keyboards were not functioning, while in others the screens were not working. Within 10 minutes, the aspirants were logged out.” He added, “If the authorities are so intelligent, why did they not install proper computers and functioning keyboards beforehand? Why did they not ensure that the servers were working properly?”

He further questioned how candidates would explain the failure to their parents: “Where will they go now? What will they tell their parents? Will they go home with a failure certificate and say that they failed because the server was not working?” He stressed that many candidates had been preparing for six to seven months, and their futures were at stake.

The Cockroach Janta Party founder also demanded that the district court judge, who he said was present inside the examination centre, come out and speak to the candidates, and provide a written assurance about a re-test. He pledged to remain with the protesters until their demands were met.

Highlighting broader concerns, Mr. Dipke criticised the conduct of online examinations, saying authorities should not hold such tests if they were unable to ensure functioning computers and servers. He alleged that the incident reflected inadequate infrastructure in educational institutions.

The Bombay High Court has not yet announced a re-examination. Candidates continue to await an official response, with many insisting that a fresh test is the only fair remedy for the disruptions they faced.

Latest in India 10
CJI tells law universities: Lead technology's role in reshaping legal system
india

CJI tells law universities: Lead technology's role in reshaping legal system

Chief Justice of India Surya Kant urged national law universities to lead in shaping technology's role in the legal system, rejecting outright bans on generative AI and stressing responsible use. He called for graduates trained to question and verify AI outputs, and for research on accountability, data protection, and digital access to justice.

The Hindu 17 Aug 2026, 01:48 AM
Read More →
→ View All India News