🏠 News Empire
world

Amnesty report: Israeli strikes on Lebanon homes may be war crimes

Published on: 09 Jul 2026, 05:57 PM
Amnesty report: Israeli strikes on Lebanon homes may be war crimes

Amnesty International has called for investigations into Israeli airstrikes on civilian homes in Lebanon, stating that the attacks may constitute war crimes. The London-based rights group released a report on Thursday analysing three strikes that occurred between March 6 and 13, which killed 24 civilians, including 12 children.

The conflict began on March 2 when Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel in support of its backer Iran, drawing Lebanon into the broader West Asian war. Israel responded with extensive airstrikes and a ground invasion, with Lebanese authorities reporting over 4,300 deaths, including more than 250 children.

Amnesty's investigation was based on interviews with 15 people, including survivors, relatives, paramedics, journalists, and local officials. The group said it had reasonable grounds to conclude that Israeli forces violated international humanitarian law by failing to distinguish between civilian and military targets, carrying out attacks directed at civilians, or not taking adequate precautions to minimise harm.

Kristine Beckerle, Amnesty's deputy regional director for West Asia and North Africa, stated that within a week, the Israeli military killed entire families, including a dozen children, demonstrating a disregard for civilian lives. She urged states to impose an immediate arms embargo on Israel and use universal jurisdiction to prosecute those responsible.

Amnesty said it had contacted Israeli authorities, who responded that some strikes were carried out against Hezbollah military objectives, while others were under review. The Israeli military stated it was committed to mitigating civilian harm but did not provide specific information about the three attacks.

Israel's Defence Minister Israel Katz responded on Thursday, saying the military operations in Lebanon were a response to Hezbollah's attacks. He noted that Hezbollah had attacked Israel twice, and Israel responded forcefully, claiming to have degraded most of Hezbollah's capabilities. Katz added that Israeli forces would remain in a self-declared security zone inside Lebanon as long as necessary to protect northern communities.

Last month, Lebanon and Israel agreed to a U.S.-backed framework aimed at ending hostilities permanently, following a memorandum of understanding between Iran and the United States that included a ceasefire. Despite this, Israel continues intermittent strikes on southern Lebanon, some deadly.

Latest in World 10
Iran's President backs U.S. memorandum as path beyond 'neither war nor peace'
world

Iran's President backs U.S. memorandum as path beyond 'neither war nor peace'

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has called the U.S. memorandum of understanding the best way out of the 'neither war nor peace' impasse, even as the 60-day deadline expires without visible progress. Meanwhile, violence continues in Gaza and the West Bank, and Iran announces an execution linked to January protests. The region remains tense amid economic pressure and warnings of retaliation.

The Hindu 23 Aug 2026, 02:10 PM
Read More →
→ View All World News