🏠 News Empire
india

Amid Trump's drill cut order, South Korea's President stresses US alliance

Published on: 18 Aug 2026, 01:05 PM
Amid Trump's drill cut order, South Korea's President stresses US alliance

South Korean President Lee Jae-myung said on Tuesday that a solid alliance with the United States strengthens the foundation of national security, as many South Koreans expressed confusion and concern over U.S. President Donald Trump's abrupt order to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises.

Mr. Trump made the surprise announcement on social media just before U.S. and South Korean troops began the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises on Monday. The drills are primarily designed to sharpen readiness against threats from North Korea. Mr. Trump cited his perceived good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea's refusal to join the U.S. war against Iran.

The move, apparently made without prior consultation with Seoul, has deepened concerns about the reliability of the alliance forged during the 1950-53 Korean War. Confidence in the U.S. among South Koreans had already been eroded by Mr. Trump's tariff policies and last year's immigration raid in Georgia that led to the detention of hundreds of South Korean workers.

In an editorial on Tuesday, the Hankook Ilbo newspaper said Mr. Trump's announcement “reveals the stark reality of a faltering Korea-U.S. alliance, fuelling public anxiety.” The paper added: “It's absurd that the U.S. appears to treat North Korea more respectfully than its ally South Korea.”

Speaking at a Cabinet meeting, President Lee, a liberal who has advocated for a stronger self-reliant defence posture, said that “national security will be further strengthened when the alliance is solid.” He added: “When we build up our strengths, our value and importance as an ally will further grow.”

It was unclear which parts of the 11-day exercises would be scaled down. The South Korean and U.S. militaries had earlier said this year's drills would be similar in scale to previous years and incorporate lessons from recent conflicts, including North Korea's battlefield experiences in the Russia-Ukraine front. They described the exercises as defensive in nature.

North Korea's Foreign Ministry accused South Korea and the U.S. of plotting more provocative drills this year and vowed to respond with “a new level of a deterrent.” Mr. Kim has avoided talks with the U.S. and South Korea since his high-profile diplomacy with Mr. Trump collapsed in 2019.

Experts say Mr. Kim is unlikely to embrace Mr. Trump's overture or return to talks soon unless he is promised larger U.S. concessions. In recent years, he has expanded his nuclear arsenal and strengthened ties with Russia amid its war against Ukraine.

President Lee's office on Monday expressed hope that a “friendly relationship” between Mr. Trump and Mr. Kim would lead to “meaningful dialogue” to promote peace on the Korean Peninsula. That drew criticism from the conservative opposition, which accused the government of prioritising the resumption of Kim-Trump diplomacy over security concerns.

Park Chung-kwon, a spokesperson for the main conservative People Power Party, said in a statement: “South Korea's security bulwark is being shaken to its very foundations.”

A weakening of the U.S. defence commitment could pose significant risks for South Korea, which has no nuclear weapons and relies on the U.S. “nuclear umbrella” — a guarantee of a devastating American response in the event of an attack by nuclear-armed North Korea. The U.S. maintains approximately 28,500 troops in South Korea.

In his social media post, Mr. Trump argued that the exercises with South Korea are not only costly but also “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea. The full text of his post was not elaborated further in the original report.

Latest in India 10
→ View All India News